Child Protection Services
By Minnesota Statute 626.556, the child protection system responds to situations where children are alleged to be maltreated, and it helps support families to safely care for their children.
How to Make a Child Abuse / Neglect Report
- Anyone suspecting child abuse and / or neglect should call Clay County Social Services Child Intake Line at 218-299-7139 to make a child maltreatment report. If there is an emergency where a child is in immediate danger, please call 911.
- You can also complete the Clay County Child Abuse-Neglect Report. Please complete, print out and mail, fax, or drop off the completed report (address, phone, and fax is included in the report form). Do not email the report.
Child Protection services include:
- Screening all reports of alleged sexual abuse, physical abuse and neglect
- Evaluating the risk of further injury to the child
- Providing Alternative Response Family Assessment Services
- Providing traditional Child Maltreatment Investigative Services
- Providing truancy / educational neglect services in coordination with school efforts for ages Kindergarten to 18
- Providing case management services to reduce risk of further abuse and / or neglect to children
- Coordinating SELF Program designed to assist targeted youth develop independent living skills
- Providing In-service Orientations to schools, hospitals, mental health clinics and the community on child maltreatment, mandatory reporting laws and the array of Clay County Social Services responses
- If you would like to request a Mandated Reporter Training, please email or call at 218-299-7139.
- Visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) site for information on what constitutes neglect, physical abuse, mental injury or sexual abuse and to access Child Maltreatment Screening Guidelines. Minnesota Statute 626.556 Reporting of Maltreatment of Minors Act provides detailed definitions of child maltreatment, and it provides the basis for the County's Multidisciplinary Child Protection Team.
- Supervision Guidelines
- Minnesota Mandated Reporter Information
- Resource Databank - FirstLink
- Supervised Visitation and Exchange
- Legal Services of Northwest Minnesota
- Father’s Information
- Rape and Abuse Crisis Center
- Fargo / Moorhead Resource List