Marriage License

Applications for a marriage license are accepted between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. at the Clay County Government Center at 3510 12th Avenue South in Moorhead.

Application Requirements

Applicants must apply in person and present proof of age. Proof of age is established by one of the following:

  1. Certified copy of a birth certificate
  2. Driver’s license or other identification card issued by a government entity
  3. A school record, immigration record, naturalization record, court record, or other document or record issued by a government entity that contains the date of birth of a party

If either person has had a previous marriage, termination type (death, divorce or annulment), the date, city, state, and county of termination must be provided.

Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age.

Applicants requesting a name change that have a felony conviction on or after August 1, 2000 are subject to a 30 day waiting period. Additional paperwork will be required.

No blood tests are required.

Required Application & Fee

  • The marriage license application can be filled out online. The application does NOT need to be printed by the applicants. Signatures will be done in person at the time of completion and payment in the Recorder’s Office. Applicants must appear in person to complete the application process within 90 days.  If one of the applicants cannot appear in person, please contact the Recorder’s Office to discuss your options.
  • A $115 Marriage License fee or a $40 Reduced Marriage License fee with an Educator’s Statement (PDF).
  • Permanent address for mailing the Certified Marriage Certificate to the couple after the marriage ceremony. If you are unsure of an address, a parent’s address or some other permanent address can be used.
  • No Refunds are issued

If a replacement Marriage License needs to be issued, there is a $25 replacement fee.

Name Change Information

Once you have received the Certified Marriage Certificate in the mail, if a name change was requested on the application, your passport, driver’s license and Social Security card will need to be changed. You can obtain the "Application for a Social Security Card" (Form SS-5) by visiting the Social Security website. Contact the local Social Security Office by calling 877-335-4114Phone and Skype emblem or visiting the Federal Building at:
657 N. 2nd Avenue
Room 320
Fargo, ND 58102