Food & Beverage Licensing & Applications

License Requirement

Public food or beverage establishments within Clay or Wilkin Counties are required to be licensed by the regulatory authority before operating. This process may require a plan review of the establishment along with a required on-site inspection and submission of the appropriate fees.

Note:  New construction or remodel of existing establishments require a plan review by the Health Authority prior to licensing.


Food & Beverage Licensing

Limited Food Menu - prepackaged food that receives heat treatment and is served in the package, frozen pizza that is heated and served, continental breakfast, soft drinks, nonalcoholic beverages, dish washing.

Small Establishment - food service with no salad bar, equipment not exceeding: one deep fat fryer; one grill; two hot holding containers; microwaves, or service of dipped ice cream / soft serve frozen desserts, or breakfast service in a bed and breakfast, or boarding establishments.  Establishments which do not provide catering service and which meet "Medium Establishment" equipment criteria below but have a total seating capacity of 50 or less people are "Small Establishments".

Medium Establishment - food service with seating over 50 and using a range, oven, steam table, salad bar or salad preparation area, more than one deep fat fryer or grill, more than two holding containers or provides catering.

Large Establishment - food service that meets the medium establishment definition and seats more than 175 people, serves a full menu selection an average of five or more days per week or caters 500 or more meals per day.

Beer or Wine Table Service - only beer or wine service to customers seated at tables.

Alcohol Service From Bar - alcoholic mixed drinks are served or where beer or wine are served from a bar.

Individual Water - a private water supply other than a community public water supply.

Individual Sewer - a private sewage treatment system which uses subsurface treatment and disposal.

Lodging Per Unit - the number of guest rooms, cottages or other rental units of a hotel, motel, lodging establishment or resort, or the number of beds in a dormitory.

Public Swimming Pool - any swimming pool other than a private residential swimming pool.

Spa Pool - a public hot water pool intended for seated recreational use.

Water Test Fee:  EACH source of non-community water available for public consumption shall be tested.

 Due Date: All license fees are due PRIOR to December 31st of the year for which the application is made or within 30 days of the date of opening for seasonal or new establishment. License fee received after these dates are subject to a penalty fee.

 Penalty Fee: additional charge added to the license fee when a person operates a business without first having made application and fee payment.

 Notice: You must submit this application and pay all fees BEFORE you begin operations. (MN Statutes, section 157.16) Download the Food, Beverage and Lodging License Application

Adobe® Acrobat® PDF File IconFood, Beverage and Lodging License Application (PDf: 39 KB)


Seasonal and Mobile Licensing 

 Food Cart – a food and beverage service establishment that is a non-motorized vehicle self-propelled by the operator.

Mobile Food Unit – a food and beverage service establishment that is a vehicle mounted unit, either motorized or trailered and readily movable, without disassembling, for transport to another location. The unit can operate no more than 21 days annually at any one place unless it is operated at the site of and in conjunction with a permanent business licensed under Minnesota Statutes Chapter 157 or Chapter 28A.

Seasonal Permanent Food Stand – a food and beverage service establishment which is a permanent food service stand or building, but operated no more than 21 days annually at any one location.

Seasonal Temporary Food Stand - a food and beverage service establishment that is a food stand which is disassembled and moved from location to location, but which operates no more than 21 days annually at any one location.

Adobe® Acrobat® PDF File IconFood Carts, Mobile Food Units, Seasonal Perm. or Temp. Stand License Application (PDf: 95 KB)


Special Event Licensing

Special Event Food Stand - a food and beverage service establishment which is used in conjunction with celebrations and special events, and which operates no more than 10 total days in the current calendar year.

Download the Special Event Food Stand License Application

Adobe® Acrobat® PDF File IconSpecial Event Food Stand License Application (PDf: 146 KB)

Adobe and Acrobat are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.