The Clay County Correctional Facility offers an Inmate Video Visitation Service, hosted by Reliance Telephone, for all public visits with inmates. Each visit is conducted via the Reliance Video Kiosk. Appointments are required for all video visitation and must be scheduled through Reliance Telephone. Visitation must be scheduled by 10:00 p.m. the night before the visit. You will receive an email or text notification once your visit has been approved. Inmates receive two visits a week. Inmate Workers and Trustees receive three visits a week.
Arrival & Check In for an Inmate Visit
If you are approved to visit an inmate, you will need to report to the Public Lobby a minimum of 10 minutes before your scheduled visit to register with Correctional Facility Staff. Visitor check in closes 10 minutes before your scheduled visit.
Please note that other visitors may be trying to register prior to each visiting time slot and the visitation area may become congested. We encourage you to please plan accordingly and arrive early to ensure your visit is not denied and to receive the maximum time to visit with an inmate. All visits are approximately 20 minutes long. For example, if a visit is scheduled at 1:00 p.m, then the visit will start at 1:00 p.m. and will automatically end at 1:20 p.m.
Please note that if an inmate loses their visiting privileges, it is not the Correctional Facility Staff’s responsibility to notify the person who scheduled a visit. It is the inmate’s responsibility to manage their scheduled visit(s) and to be out of their cell to accept visits. Correctional Facility Staff will not notify an inmate that a visit is scheduled.
Visits will not be permitted during tier lock-down or if:
- The inmate has not completed their booking.
- The inmate is on discipline for violating Correctional Facility rules.
- The inmate is attending Court, or participating in outside Work Release.
On Site Hours of Visitation
- Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Visitation Times for Tier Rotation Schedule
- 1st Floor Odd Days
- 2nd Floor Odd Days
- 1st Floor Even Days
- 2nd Floor Even Days
Visitation Times for Sheyenne Medium Population
- Even cell Number Even Days
- Odd Cell Number Even Days
- Even Cell Number Odd Days
- Odd Cell Number Odd Days
Additional Visiting Requirements
- Visits are subject to monitoring and recording.
- Visitors 18 years of age and older must have a valid picture identification.
- Two adults or one adult and one supervised child may visit. The adult must be a legal guardian of the minor.
- Visitors may only visit one inmate per day.
- Any false information provided on the Reliance site that does not match with the photo identification will result in the denial of the visit.
- Proper attire: no tank tops or cut-offs (shorts must cover to mid-thigh) and shirts must cover to the neck and sleeves past the shoulders. All clothing must be loose fitting and footwear is mandatory. The Correctional Facility has the discretion to refuse a visitor based on inappropriate attire.
- Visitors under the influence of drugs or alcohol will not be allowed to visit.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the visitation area.
- Cell phones, tablets, electronic devices, photography or recording equipment are prohibited.
- Visitors are not allowed to switch visitation terminals and visit other inmates. You must remain seated for the duration of your visit.
- Visitors are subject to searches.
- Inmates have the right to refuse any visit.
- The Clay County Correctional Facility reserves the right to deny or end any visit.
Professional Visits (Attorneys, Clergy, Social Service, Probation, etc.)
All authorized Professional Visitors may visit their clients at any time, except during scheduled lock-downs, meal service and Correctional Facility emergencies. Cellular telephones are not allowed within the secure perimeter of the Correctional Facility. No food or drink is allowed.
Professional visitors may bring laptops, tablets, DVD players, audio recorders, etc. into the facility. However, the visitor may be required to demonstrate that the device is functional and / or open battery compartments and drive bays to ensure that contraband is not being concealed within the device. No food or drink is allowed.
Professional visits are requested by contacting the Program Staff and requesting to meet with an inmate. Please call ahead and speak with our Program Staff at 218-299-7574. By setting up an appointment, we can assist you better with a fast and efficient meeting with your client. We will work with you on a time to come in to visit your client but we request that you understand that we have necessary lock-downs throughout the day.