Review of Standards
The 1996 legislative process passed Minnesota Statute 507.093 to establish document standards for recording real estate documents in Minnesota. These standards are still in effect today.
- Be no larger than 8 ½ x 14 inches (continuous page documents are non-standard).
- Be printed, typewritten or computer generated in black ink with type no smaller than 8
- Be on white paper of at least
20 poundweight (copy machine weight) with no background color or highlighter and at least a ½ inch border on all sides of each page.
- Contain a 3-inch blank space at the top on the first page for county use.
- Prominently display the title of the document on the first page below the 3-inch blank space.
- Not contain attachments which cover up any information on any page of the document.
- Be legible enough to reproduce a readable copy using Recorder/Registrar's current method of reproduction.
- The law includes all documents dated August 1,
- When creating forms, always leave 3 inches of blank space at the top of the 1st page.
- Do not provide fill in the blanks for county offices since county processes vary.
- The Minnesota UCB software and the pre-printed Minnesota UCB forms are provided for under Section 507.09. Certified copies or any form provided for under Minnesota Statutes are exempt from the document standards fee unless you alter the Minnesota UCB by writing in the margin, taping a legal description onto the form, etc.
- When attaching legal descriptions to documents or to Certificates of Real Estate Value, please use full sheets of
paperprinted portrait, as opposed to landscape (sideways).