The Clay County Attorney's Office, in conjunction with the Victim / Witness Program, is committed to providing assistance to victims and witnesses involved in the criminal justice system.
Services include the following:
- Assistance in understanding victim rights and the legal process.
- Providing information regarding case status, hearing dates, and scheduling changes.
- Facilitating contact with other agencies within the criminal justice system.
- Assistance in seeking restitution or reparations for economic loss resulting from the crime. View the compensation for losses webpage for more information.
- Offering information and assistance to develop a victim impact statement.
- Accompanying victims to court and securing a safe waiting area.
- Offering referrals to other agencies and organizations providing victims services.
- Offering interpretive services or other specialized assistance and services as needed.
The mission of the Clay County Victim / Witness Program is to promote the rights and interests of crime victims in all facets of the criminal court system while addressing individual needs caused by the trauma of victimization.
Message From the Clay County Attorney
No one asks or wants to become a victim of crime. But, should it happen to you, it is important that you feel comfortable with the criminal court system, as the criminal court process is absolutely dependent upon your cooperation. My office is committed to providing you all the information and support you need during this confusing and difficult time. I hope the information you find here is helpful. Please contact myself or the Victim / Witness Program with any questions.
- Brian J. Melton