Review of Standards
The 1996 legislative process passed Minnesota Statute 507.093 to establish document standards for recording real estate documents in Minnesota. These standards are still in effect today.
- Be no larger than 8 ½ x 14 inches (continuous page documents are non-standard).
- Be printed, typewritten or computer generated in black ink with type no smaller than 8 point.
- Be on white paper of at least 20 pound weight (copy machine weight) with no background color or highlighter and at least a ½ inch border on all sides of each page.
- Contain a 3-inch blank space at the top on the first page for county use.
- Prominently display the title of the document on the first page below the 3-inch blank space.
- Not contain attachments which cover up any information on any page of the document.
- Be legible enough to reproduce a readable copy using Recorder/Registrar’s current method of reproduction.
Note: One sided pages are preferred in case there is bleed through from a notary stamp, etc. so it doesn’t interfere with the print on the other side.
- The law includes all documents dated August 1, 1997 or after.
- When creating forms, always leave 3 inches of blank space at the top of the 1st page.
- Do not provide fill in the blanks for county offices since county processes vary.
- The Minnesota UCB software and the pre-printed Minnesota UCB forms are provided for under Section 507.09. Certified copies or any form provided for under Minnesota Statutes are exempt from the document standards.