The purpose of the Solid Waste Advisory Committee is to assist the county board and staff in the activities of the county solid waste management system in the areas including, but not limited to:
- Landfill operations, including development and implementation of future landfill options
- Waste abatement programs, including composting and recycling programs
- Public education programs
- Monitor and update the county Solid Waste Management Plan
- Conformity with state and federal regulations
- Administration of the county Solid Waste Management and Long-Term Care Trust Funds, including annual waste management budget preparations
The Solid Waste Advisory Committee (SWAC) was established in December 1989, replacing the Clay County Landfill Committee and the Moorhead / Clay County Solid Waste Task Force.