- Finance & Records
- Real Estate
- Plat Review Process
Plat Review Process
A plat includes a map of a tract of land subdivided into lots, with streets and alleys drawn to scale showing dimensions according to Minnesota Statute 505. A plat also includes formalities such as the owners' certificate, surveyor's certificate and various signatures of governmental officers to show approval. For more information about subdividing land, contact the city planner of the city where the land is located. Contact the Clay County Planning and Zoning Department by telephone at 218-299-5005 or by emailing Planning, if the land is outside of city limits but within Clay County. See Minnesota Statute 505 Plats; Coordinates; Surveys online for more information.
Plat Review Process
- Complete the Clay County Plat Review Worksheet and e-mail to County Recorder
- E-mail a PDF version of the proposed plat and any additional documentation to the County Recorder
- Upload a Plat - Surveyors Upload CAD file for Submittal to the Plat Review Process
Common Interest Community
A Common Interest Community (CIC) plat is another type of plat which often includes units and common areas according to Minnesota Statute 515B or Minnesota Statute 505. Reserve a CIC number by contacting the Clay County Recorder's Office.
Addition vs. Subdivision
In most cases, in Clay County, the word addition is used when subdividing land within city limits. The word subdivision is used when subdividing land outside of city limits.
- A proposed new plat must be submitted to the Clay County Recorder 10 days prior to recording to allow for a review process by the various land record departments. The final printed plat should not be made until this review process is complete.
- A new plat including a Common Interest Community (CIC) plat must be all abstract land or all Torrens land.
- A new plat must include the name of the city in the subtitle of the plat if the platted area is located in an incorporated area.
Helpful Plat Information
- Subdivision Plats in Clay County Sorted by Name (PDF)
- Subdivision Plats in Clay County Sorted by Township or City (PDF)
- Plats, Corners and Surveys Online
Download the Certificate of Location of Government Corner Template
Certificate of Location of Government Corner (DWG)
Certificate of Location of Government Corner (PDF)